Fumito Ueda spoke about the Spider and his reasons for its removal in two interviews: "Spider was meant to be defeated by slashing it with your sword while riding Agro, but if you're putting in special motions just to take down a Colossus, then it's not really elegant. However, the idea of this strategy was used for the turtle (the ninth Colossus). I tend to put a lot of emphasis on whether the game design makes sense, whether it's elegant ."
"The concept was great in theory, but difficult to create in practice. We were unable to make it happen during the programming phase ."
The earlier version of Spider with black tentacles was much smaller than its later version, which was one of the tallest colossi, standing at around 38 meters high. It had six legs with glowing weakspots which would need to be slashed to make it fall. It also featured sharp, teeth-like horns on its underside, surrounding its sigil. Its head was hexagonal in shape, with vegetation growing on top.
According to the artbook, "it was defeated by leading it from water to land", so the location of the battle was near a watery area. As stated above, Spider's weak spots were on its legs, and after Wander had hit an unknown amount it would have "destroyed its posture".
In the OPM, PSU and E3 demos of the game, Wander has the ability to swing his sword sideways while on horseback, which was the main way to target its legs. This ability would be removed in all later versions.
Spider lived in the unused arena known as Hillock; and while it's located somewhere in the "F" column in the artbook screenshots, it was quickly moved to "D3". The textures from Hillock are mostly found in areas surrounding D3, and one of the hill-like mountains in Geyser looks very similar to the one in the screenshot with the version of Spider with tentacles. The likely scenario is that Basaran got moved from I3 to D3 after Spider got cut, merging both arenas together.
- The swiping motion from Agro's back required for Spider's fight is still in the PSU preview and earlier versions of the game.
- There exists an alternate design of Spider with long, black tentacles coming from its underside. The origin of this picture is from a Famitsu magazine dated December 2nd 2005, and it's likely to be an earlier model of it. Tentacles related to Spider were also found in the sheet data.
- A blue ball of light can also be seen glowing in the middle of its underside horns in various screenshots. This was Spider's pulse attack, similar to the ones belonging to the 9th and 12th colossi. A texture segment of it named "spider_pulse_tume" exists in the sheets, it uses the texture "kame_pulse_tuno".
- The sheets lists an 'icon' texture for Spider. It's likely that it is one of the HUD colossi icons that earlier builds had.
- Spider is the unused colossus with the greatest amount of officially released images; it has six different images showing its body or sections of it from various angles.
- Spider's legs are found in the final version of the game on Dormin's back.
- An old theory placed Spider at F0, since there was remains of land in the G0 quadrant found in earlier versions of the game. However, at that point in development, several areas in the map had that exact same style, as an early clip from 'F5' available on the Nico bonus DVD, shows the same type of cliffs.
|Characters||Wander · Mono · Agro · Dormin · Lord Emon · Guards · Shadow Creatures|
|Colossi||I · II · III · IV · V · VI · VII · VIII · IX · X · XI · XII · XIII · XIV · XV · XVI|
|Locations||The Forbidden Lands · Shrine of Worship · Colossus Arenas|
|Main Items||Power-ups (Lizards · Fruit) · Weapons (Ancient Sword · Sword of the Sun · Queen’s Sword · Sword of Dormin · Bow & Arrow · Ancient Bow · Harpoon of Thunder · Life Sword) · Collectibles (Relics)|
|Gameplay||Hard Mode · Save shrines · Time Attack · Reminiscence Mode · Watermellon · Barrel|
|Media||Roar of the Earth (OST) · Official Art and Guide Book · Nico Bonus DVD · Film|
|Releases||OPM Demo · PS2 original · PS3 remaster · PS4 remake · Credits|
|Early Builds||Preview version · PSU Preview version · E3 Demo|
|Unused Content||Unused Colossi · Colossus Test Stages · Unused Locations · Beta Mountains · Shadow of the Colossus Development Phases|