Fumito Ueda said the following in an interview about Spider's removal from the game: "Spider was meant to be defeated by slashing it with your sword while riding Agro, but that would have required us to put in a special motion just to battle that Colossus, so I didn’t think it was very elegant ."
Spider was one of the tallest colossi, standing at around 38 meters high. It had six legs with glowing weakspots which would need to be slashed to make it fall; these legs were likely reused on the back of Dormin. It also featured sharp, teeth-like horns on its underside, with something that resembles a mouth in the middle. Its head was octagonally-shaped, with vegetation growing at the top.
According to the artbook, "it was defeated by leading it from water to land", so the location of the battle was near a watery area. As stated above, Spider's weak spots were on its legs, and after Wander had hit all six of them, it would have "destroyed its posture" and caused it to fall.
In the OPM and PSU demos of the game, Wander has the ability to swing his sword sideways while on horseback, which was the main way to target its legs. This ability would be removed in all later versions.
Spider most likely lived in the 'F2' quadrant, in the unused arena known as Hillock. Several test variants of the Hillock stage were found in the sheets containing enough evidence to point to that conclusion, such as the related texture segment called 'wakisaka_test', which contains several textures exclusive to the 'F' column of the map as well as the texture for the early model of the bridge shown in Spider's screenshots. The texture segment for the early version of F3 also contains a large number of matching textures to Hillock and its test stages, proving it was located in the general vinicity and further cementing Hillock as Spider's arena, among other pieces of evidence.
An old theory places Spider at F0, since the G0 quadrant remains in the Preview and PSU Preview versions of the game, suggesting the Entrance Temple might've extended further north during development. It also has a similar landscape to what's seen in Spider's screenshots, as the floor and cliffs seem to be very similar. However, at that point in development, several areas in the map had that exact same style. The screenshot from the Chronic'art French magazine reveals that the so-called "G0 cliffs" were just a very large rock, similar to the ones seen in F2.
- Ueda stated they couldn't get to 'retranscribing' Spider's strategy in the programming phase.
- The swiping motion from Agro's back required for Spider's fight is still in the OPM and PSU Demos of the game.
- There exists an alternate design of Spider with long, black tentacles coming from its mouth. It's unknown where this picture came from or from what period of development it is. The black tentacles were also found in the sheet data.
- Spider was "nearly completed" by the time of Shadow of the Colossus' first public debut.
- A blue ball of light can also be seen glowing in its "mouth" in various screenshots. This was Spider's pulse attack, similar to the ones belonging to Basaran and Pelagia.
- The sheets lists an 'icon' texture for Spider. It's likely that it is one of the HUD colossi icons that earlier builds had.
- Spider is the unused colossus with the greatest amount of officially released images; it has six different images showing its body or sections of it from various angles.
- Spider's legs are found in the final version of the game on Dormin's back.
|Characters||Wander · Mono · Agro · Dormin · Lord Emon · Guards · Shadow Creatures|
|Colossi||I · II · III · IV · V · VI · VII · VIII · IX · X · XI · XII · XIII · XIV · XV · XVI|
|Locations||The Forbidden Lands · Shrine of Worship · Colossi Arenas|
|Main Items||Power-ups (Lizards · Fruit) · Weapons (Ancient Sword · Sword of the Sun · Queen’s Sword · Sword of Dormin · Bow & Arrow · Ancient Bow · Harpoon of Thunder · Life Sword) · Collectibles (Relics)|
|Gameplay||Hard Mode · Save shrines · Time Attack · Reminiscence Mode · Watermellon · Barrel|
|Media||Roar of the Earth (OST) · Official Art and Guide Book · Nico Bonus DVD · Film|
|Releases||OPM Demo · PS2 original · PS3 remaster · PS4 remake · Credits|
|Early Builds||Preview version · PSU Preview version · E3 Demo|
|Unused Content||Unused Colossi · Datamined Colossi · Colossi Stages · Beta Dam · Beta Mountains|