Shadow of the Colossus is a remake of the original game of the same name by Bluepoint Games for the Playstation 4. The remake was first revealed at E3 2017. Rather than being a remaster, the 2018 game is a complete remake from the ground up with high-definition art assets and an updated control scheme, while still retaining the same gameplay as the original.
The Digital Deluxe version gives the previously-mentioned items, but also gives various new items such as the Spotted Steed costume for Agro, the Ancient Bow, the Cloak of Fate, and a Steelbook case. Pre-ordering the game additionally provided users with a code for the Life Sword.
- New Game+ is added to allow the player to transfer health and stamina increases, items, and access to Time Attack to different difficulties.
- There is now an Easy Mode.
- A Mirrored World has been added and can be unlocked after clearing the game for the first time (e.g: Wander will now wield the Ancient Sword on his left rather than his right).
- A new collectible has been added: coins. A counter will appear at the bottom left corner of the map to indicate the amount of coins already collected, and collecting all coins will give the player a new reward.
- A new function called Photo Mode is added, where players can take commemorative shots at the game's scenery. It is also possible to take photos during cutscenes and battles.
- It is possible to change the filter and lighting of the game. Options include Sepia, Night, and Reminiscence.
- A stats menu has been added to allow players to see miscellaneous things such as distance traveled on or off Agro, amount of times certain colossi have been defeated and the fastest time, and special items collected, etc.
- The game's HUD can be customized to display certain aspects at certain times.
- Another Easter egg has been added: goat paintings.
- Hard Mode is unlocked by default.
- The game's world, while still maintaining the same layout as the original, are mostly new renders, with some obvious remodels on objects and structures. Some graphical comparison with the original game can be unlocked in the gallery.
- Time Attack rewards from Hard Mode can be carried over to lower difficulties and vice versa.
- The shaking of the colossi and Wander's grip strength has been reworked so he will shake a lot less compared to the PS3 version. A noticeable example is the amount of shaking that rattles Wander when he grabs on the 15th colossus' head.
- Some of the Time Attacks for certain colossi have had their goals changed. While some like the 1st colossus have had their times shortened slightly, others, like the 3rd and 4th, have had their times changed significantly.
- Agro's skins can now be changed via the item selection menu.
- The process of saving the game has been changed.
- The game now auto-saves after defeating a colossus.
- Save shrines will now automatically save to the current save file without a prompt.
- Saving can also be done manually through the pause menu. Though this can be done anywhere in the world, reloading such a save will return the player to the last save shrine they prayed at.
- The sounds made by all the colossi have been changed.
- Dormin's voice has been altered considerably.
- Setting functions are now more customizable. Some modes include Theatrical and Performance mode.
- It is possible to disable both the tutorial as well as Dormin's in-battle hints in the settings menu.
- The stamina bar now elongates to the left side of the screen in adjacency to the health bar as opposed to growing in radius and overlapping other HUD elements. It is also yellow in color instead of pink.
- The credits give a shoutout to Nomad Colossus, a YouTube user who has spent the past seven years from the remaster's release uploading various mods, hidden files, theories, and other miscellaneous things of the game.
- White-tailed lizards now make a unique sound to notify Wander of their presence.
- The map is more customizable. It is now possible to hide the icons for shrines prayed at and colossi defeated.
- The major sigil on the 6th colossus' head is centered and not offset to the left.
- After killing a colossus, Wander cannot toggle or use any of his weapons until he is sent back to the Shrine of Worship.
- While swimming, Wander now recovers stamina as he would if he was idle on land rather than recovering stamina by breaths.
- Agro can now be mounted from the rear.
- The Queen's Sword now radiates an electric-like aura when received. Additionally, it will make a unique sound when it is used to stab a colossus.
- New items will now have a sigil sign at their left until they are selected.
- The Cloak of Deception now leaves a darker highlight of Wander to help inform the player where exactly he is.
Original composer Kow Otani returned for the soundtrack and reworked several tracks to increase the number of musicians and instruments used. While it was not possible to expand upon every track, partic
ular emphasis was placed upon the music and the beginning and end of the game. Otani stated that "the goal of this recording was less to change the tracks themselves and more to make the sense of scale even bigger".
The remastered soundtrack was released on 2xLP vinyl by iam8bit. Unlike the original soundtrack, the re-release featured original album art by Nimit Malavia and was released outside of Japan.
The following is a list of all trophies players may earn in Shadow of the Colossus (PS4).
|The Horned Boy||Acquire all trophies|
|Speed King||Obtain all Time Attack items together as one set|
|Intrepid Mortal||Max out Wander's health and stamina bars|
|Speed Demon||Complete Hard Mode under 5:41:28|
|Grounded Scaler||Defeat colossus #8 before it can turn back over|
|Resist the Wrist||Defeat colossus #3 without breaking its wrist guard|
|Reach the Gate||Cross the bridge to the entrance of the Forbidden Lands|
|Last Man Standing||Complete a single playthrough without dying once|
|Bearer of the Curse||Complete the game on any difficulty|
|Dormin's Rage||Use Dormin's breath attack|
|Seeking Salvation||Pray at all shrines|
|Trick Rider||Perform all stunts with Agro|
|Fruit of the Garden||Taste the poisoned fruit|
|Sword of Her Majesty||Defeat any colossus with the Queen's Sword|
|Paint the Target||Use the sword to focus on a vital point|
|Fruit of the Land||Eat a piece of fruit|
|Skilled Warrior||Defeat a colossus with a downward jump stab|
|The Past that Defines Thee||Defeat any colossus while in Reminiscence Mode|
|Five-Lined Skink||Collect a silver lizard tail|
|Animals of the Land||Interact with a dove, hawk, fish, and tortoise|
|Boon of the Nomad||Find the Easter Egg barrel in the hidden cave|
|Trick Arrow Skills||Shoot a lizard with a special arrow|
|Valley of the Wanderer||Defeat the 1st colossus|
|The Mammoth||Defeat the 2nd colossus|
|Wake the Knight||Defeat the 3rd colossus|
|Land of the Gravestones||Defeat the 4th colossus|
|Riding the Wind||Defeat the 5th colossus|
|Tomb of the Giant||Defeat the 6th colossus|
|Waves of Lightning||Defeat the 7th colossus|
|Scaler of the Colosseum||Defeat the 8th colossus|
|Lurker of the Cave||Defeat the 9th colossus|
|Mystery in the Sand||Defeat the 10th colossus|
|Guardian and the Pit||Defeat the 11th colossus|
|Thunder of the Lake||Defeat the 12th colossus|
|Signs amidst the Storm||Defeat the 13th colossus|
|Shield of the Colossus||Defeat the 14th colossus|
|Valley of the Fallen||Defeat the 15th colossus|
|Last of the Colossus||Defeat the 16th colossus|
The game received massive support in its first trailer.
Upon release, the game received almost universal acclaim. Of the 100 critic reviews recorded on Metacritic, 97 of them were positive, with a total Metascore of 91.
In Push Square's review , reviewer Sammy Barker stated "It’s fitting that one of the greatest games of all time should be graced with one of the best remakes of all time", awarding the game a perfect 10. Meanwhile, Eurogamer marked it as a Eurogamer Essential, with Oli Welsh calling it a "melancholy masterpiece" in his review.
The game topped the UK sales chart on the week of its release, with the number of physical copies being sold 73% greater than the PS2 version. In total, it is estimated that the game sold approximately 434,517 copies at retail in its first week.
- In the forest near Barba, there is a small cave with a barrel, a reference to The Last Guardian.
- There is a watermelon on the beach, which is a reference to Ico's watermelon ending.
- There are four hidden goat paintings which can be found around the Forbidden Lands.
|Characters||Wander · Mono · Agro · Dormin · Lord Emon · Guards · Shadow Creatures|
|Colossi||I · II · III · IV · V · VI · VII · VIII · IX · X · XI · XII · XIII · XIV · XV · XVI|
|Locations||The Forbidden Lands · Shrine of Worship · Colossus Arenas|
|Main Items||Power-ups (Lizards · Fruit) · Weapons (Ancient Sword · Sword of the Sun · Queen’s Sword · Sword of Dormin · Bow & Arrow · Ancient Bow · Harpoon of Thunder · Life Sword) · Collectibles (Relics)|
|Gameplay||Hard Mode · Save shrines · Time Attack · Reminiscence Mode · Watermellon · Barrel|
|Media||Roar of the Earth (OST) · Official Art and Guide Book · Nico Bonus DVD · Film|
|Releases||OPM Demo · PS2 original · PS3 remaster · PS4 remake · Credits|
|Early Builds||Preview version · PSU Preview version · E3 Demo|
|Unused Content||Unused Colossi · Colossus Test Stages · Unused Locations · Beta Mountains · Shadow of the Colossus Development Phases|