The artbook says, "Its head detail resembled that of a frilled lizard", which can be clearly seen in the screenshots. Its wings seem thin and leathery, like that of a bat. Its neck is very long, because "I actually wanted to do a long-necked bird-type."
According to the artbook, "You'd shoot it down with the bow", meaning that the bow and arrow were vital to defeating this colossus, similar to Phalanx. According to Fumito Ueda in an interview to the French cultural magazine Chronic'art, Roc would need to be pursued with Agro, again similar to the battle with Phalanx; "The player was supposed to chase this flying colossus down on horseback and shoot it down with the bow."
Roc's frills glow, like other colossi with weakpoints (examples being Quadratus' hooves and Basaran's legs) suggesting that it may have been a weakpoint. Further evidence of this is Phalanx's concept art, which has a text in parenthesis that describes Phalanx's old muscle-like tendon as emitting light in a manner similar to Roc's weakness. In the footage of Roc, Wander is seen holding his bow when Roc dives down at him. It can be presumed that shooting Roc in the frills would make it fall, allowing the player access to its body and sigil.
Roc was fought in a desert-like landscape in an earlier version of the quadrant 'D6', called the Badlands, before Barba was added or moved there. It was originally speculated to have been located at 'B3' due to a comparison between the Roc screenshots and the low-resolution image of the 'B3' quadrant as seen from above revealing supposed similarities in their geometry. It was found out years later to have been nothing but a coincidence when it was discovered that Yamori A lived in that quadrant, and a glimpse of Roc's pillar and crater in 'D6' were found in an old picture of Phalanx; the discovery of which led to multiple other pieces of evidence being unearthed to confirm its location as 'D6', with Barba being originally absent from the area.
An uncut version of the NICO trailer featured in the Tokyo Game Show on September 25, 2004 shows the Roc's tower and the surrounding crater-style hole in D6, proving its location once and for all.
Broken structures seen on the ground in Roc's arena match the armor seen on Gaius' right arm. According to the data sheets, the texture used for the structure is located in both Badlands and Gaius' model. Other matching textures have also been discovered in the sheets for the Badlands and Roc's screenshots.
- A Shadow of the Colossus trailer originating from a rare promo dvd titled 'WANDA.Title 1' shows a short clip of the battle with Roc, in which Wander is seen riding Agro while the colossus attacks from above. The trailer date is 24th August 2004.
- To date, Roc is the only unused colossus to be seen in video footage as opposed to development screenshots.
- Ueda stated Roc was cut because of issues with collision detection. Evidence for this can be seen in the Roc footage, since Roc clips through Wander and the ground when it dives down to attack him.
- An old clip taken from an early trailer of the game, which depicted Wander walking through the E5 forest passage to the desert, revealed that Barba's mountain was mysteriously absent from the area at the time, and in its place was the big rock seen in the screenshot of Roc sitting on the pillar.
- An extended version of the same trailer from TGS 2004 shows the Roc's tower and its crater in D6, as discovered by the fan known as Aith.
- The complete model for Roc's tail was discovered in an early Dormin model from the E3 Demo version of the game.
- A page from the issue #285 of the Dengeki Playstation magazine shows an edit of Roc seemingly at D6, its former location.
|Characters||Wander · Mono · Agro · Dormin · Lord Emon · Guards · Shadow Creatures|
|Colossi||I · II · III · IV · V · VI · VII · VIII · IX · X · XI · XII · XIII · XIV · XV · XVI|
|Locations||The Forbidden Lands · Shrine of Worship · Colossus Arenas|
|Main Items||Power-ups (Lizards · Fruit) · Weapons (Ancient Sword · Sword of the Sun · Queen’s Sword · Sword of Dormin · Bow & Arrow · Ancient Bow · Harpoon of Thunder · Life Sword) · Collectibles (Relics)|
|Gameplay||Hard Mode · Save shrines · Time Attack · Reminiscence Mode · Watermellon · Barrel|
|Media||Roar of the Earth (OST) · Official Art and Guide Book · Nico Bonus DVD · Film|
|Releases||OPM Demo · PS2 original · PS3 remaster · PS4 remake · Credits|
|Early Builds||Preview version · PSU Preview version · E3 Demo|
|Unused Content||Unused Colossi · Datamined Colossi · Colossus Test Stages · Unused Locations · Beta Mountains · Shadow of the Colossus Development Phases|
- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vSpDo5699u4K4XgvtGUWkx59DsIN4s8iVjIbmOQNOwE/edit#heading=h.kr34gekgy7nb | Compilation of evidence found by the Stage 0 Team in order to prove Roc's location.