Path to the colossus
- See also: Map for this path
In terms of simple distance, Quadratus' lair is the closest to the Shrine of Worship; however, getting to its lair is not as simple. Upon exiting the Shrine, holding up the Ancient Sword will reveal that the colossus is located to the north. Go around the Shrine's west side until facing a clear path north. There will be a gigantic land bridge ahead of the player that will eventually fork in two directions. Hold up the sword again for the answer: take the right fork. Once done so, a cutscene will play, indicating that Wander is close. Follow the path down to the bottom of the canyon and head northwest until facing a suspicious area of the cliffs.
Agro is with Wander this time, but her speed is not needed here. Approach the colossus on foot; once Wander is close enough, the beast will rear up on its hind legs in an attempt to crush him. This reveals the bottom of its hooves look vulnerable. Shoot any of these spots (even its back two hooves have these) to make the colossus fall down to a spot where Wander can climb up onto it.
The player's stamina has increased since the first colossus, but only marginally; don't let it run out. There are small platforms jutting out of its legs, but it's very easy to fall off of them. Head along the side of the colossus to its back, where the first major weakpoint awaits. Run up close to the center of its back if Wander is low on stamina.
The last weakpoint is on its head. It's difficult to take it out with one stamina meter; as before, retreat to its more stable back to recover if Wander's stamina becomes too low.
- Time Attack times in Original and PS3 versions (Normal, Hard): 4:00, 4:30
- Time Attack times in PS4 Remaster (Normal, Hard): 3:30, 4:30
Tips and tricks
- Hard Mode players will want to attack Quadratus' left hooves, so as to get to the difficulty-exclusive weakpoint on its left side.
- The player doesn't have to wait for Quadratus to rear up to attack its hooves. With precise timing, the right angle, and practice, one can hit the bottom of its hooves while the colossus is walking normally.
- The player can jump off of Agro to reach higher or farther distances. Use this battle to experiment with the technique, because it will be necessary to do it later.
- "Sign of the Colossus" plays as Wander approaches Quadratus' lair.
- Once Quadratus emerges, "A Violent Encounter" kicks in.
- When Wander starts scaling Quadratus, "Revived Power" plays until the colossus falls.
- As well as being the first quadrupedal colossus, Quadratus is the first colossus that can be fought with Agro.
- Quadratus is the only colossus to break out from behind a wall upon Wander's arrival. Barba is behind a wall initially, but rather than breaking it down like Quadratus, the wall slides open for Barba.
- Quadratus is the second-tallest of all the colossi, standing at a rough height of 98ft/29.9m. The only colossus that stands taller is Malus, who is almost twice as tall as Quadratus' highest point.
- Quadratus is the second-longest quadruped after Basaran.
- Quadratus shares something in common with Basaran: they both have weakpoints located on the bottom of their feet which must be exploited in order to gain access to their weakpoint sigils.
- Quadratus makes a lot of elephant-like roars and bellows.
- Along with Gaius and Wander, Quadratus made a cameo appearance outside of Shadow of the Colossus in the 2008 PS3 game LittleBigPlanet, where Quadratus can be downloaded as a costume.
- When Wander is on the land bridge going from the Shrine of Worship to Quadratus' area, the water will appear blue. However, when Wander approaches the other side of the bridge, it will turn a greenish shade. If Wander jumps off here and lands in water that is deep enough for him to survive the fall, Agro will have to run on her own down to the beach. Strangely, when Agro gets to a certain part coming down to the beach, she will fall off the ledge but will be unharmed, despite the near 100 foot fall.
- On the back of the Shadow of the Colossus PS2 case where it shows screenshots of the game, Quadratus' early design can be seen in one of the screenshots on the case.
- If Wander falls to the ground after doing significant damage to Quadratus, it may attempt to flee from him.
- Quadratus is one of the main icons for the game, as it appears in most of the promo pictures and advertisements.
|Characters||Wander · Mono · Agro · Dormin · Lord Emon · Shadow Creatures|
|Colossi||I · II · III · IV · V · VI · VII · VIII · IX · X · XI · XII · XIII · XIV · XV · XVI|
|Locations||The Forbidden Lands · Shrine of Worship|
|Main Items||Power-ups (Lizards · Fruit) · Weapons (Ancient Sword · Sword of the Sun · Queen’s Sword · Sword of Dormin · Bow & Arrow · Ancient Bow · Harpoon of Thunder · Life Sword) · Collectibles (Relics)|
|Gameplay||Hard Mode · Save shrines · Time Attack · Reminiscence Mode · Watermellon · Barrel|
|Media||Roar of the Earth (OST) · Official Art and Guide Book · Nico Bonus DVD · Film|
|Releases||Demo · PS2 original · PS3 remaster · PS4 remake · Credits|