Dormin says the following upon retrieving the item:
|“||That is the 'Cloth of Desperation'...
Use it when thou hast fallen off a colossus and thou art in peril...
This item is useful if knocked off of a tall colossus or to quickly jump down from high elevations, as it reduces fall speed and thus nullifies fall damage. While falling, Wander has very little control over the direction in which he falls when the Cloth of Desperation is in use, but it does have a slight forward motion. It can be equipped at the same time as the Shaman's Cloak.
As of the 2018 game, the Cloth of Desperation can be toggled without mutual exclusivity against the use of any other item. It also has an additional use as a tool to aid reaching several Enlightenment spots that might require unconventional tricks such as leaping off a Colossus to get to a high platform that's seemingly inaccessible from ground level.
- The Cloth of Desperation is identical to the cloth Mono's body is wrapped in at the beginning of the game.
- In the preview version of Shadow of the Colossus, Dormin said the following about the item: "That is the Cloak of Desperation... Use it when thou fallest off a colossus and thou art in peril...". This could mean that the Cloth of Desperation could not be equipped at the same time as the Shaman's Cloak, as they were both cloaks.
- If the Cloth is repeatedly opened and then closed by letting go of and pushing the control stick forward, Wander will move more than he normally would if the player was just holding . If a turbo controller is being used, it will work even better, and Wander will be able to go very far distances and explore areas not meant to be.
- Some people have gotten Shadow of the Colossus to work on their computer; however, it has many glitches, including being able to be shot extremely high up into the air. Therefore, using these two glitches combined allows one to explore areas completely inaccessible through normal gameplay.
- The Cloth of Desperation is well-known for a glitch that makes Wander look like a clam (or turtle to some). It has been dubbed "The Clam Shell Glitch" by fans, and it is triggered by doing the following: After defeating a colossus, while having the Cloth equipped, jump and open it at the moment the black tendrils hit Wander. He instantly "wears" the Cloth of Desperation like a shell and remains so even after waking up in the Shrine of Worship. To make Wander return to normal, the player can jump and press or , unequip the Cloth, or stand next to Agro and mount her.